Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hi hope you can help I have a really painful back ache which

Hi hope you can help I have a really painful back ache which started yesterday.Took some Tramadol tablets which helped but knocked me out for the day.Have woken up feeling really stiff and the pain has spread all across my lower back.No problems eating or going to the loo,just vey un comfortable.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person. I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

Did you have problems with the back in the past as well?

Dr. Sohaib :

Any kind of tests done like MRI of the spine?

Customer:

II have never had an MRI scan.I have always had a weakness in my back since I was young when I had a bad fall.Have been active all my life,am now 56 years old.

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the useful information. Well tramadol is a strong pain killer, a narcotic analgesic that has the great tendency to make you feel drowsy and sleepy. It is in general reserved for control of pains that do not respond to paracetamol or NSAID's (or a combination of both). At this point, you can take paracetamol in a dose of 3000mg daily (2 tablets of 500mg thrice daily), along with ibuprofen (400-600mg thrice daily). Additionally, you also need a muscle relaxant like tizanidine or cyclobenzaprine which will relieve the stiffness and muscle spasm at back due to pain. Rest and gentle massage of the back along with heating pads applications (the best muscle relaxant) will be of great help.

Dr. Sohaib :

And you should have MRI of the spine ordered as well, as this is most likely a result of pinched nerve in the spine, due to prolapsed disc or vertebral degeneration; in order to diagnose this with certainty and to get further management plan chalked out.

Customer:

Many thanks for your reply,how long do you think it will take to recover?I am supposed to be driving today but really don't feel I should.

Dr. Sohaib :

This may take few days to settle down completely. You can drive for short trips, but do keep a pillow behind your back to keep it straight. And if possible, avoid driving for a day or two until this improves.

Customer:

Thank you very much.Asregards XXXXX XXXXX relaxant,will I need to go to my own doctor for these or can I buy them over the counter?

Dr. Sohaib :

These are prescription medications, not available over the counter. Discuss this with your doctor and surely he wont deny it.

Customer:

O.k many thanks again,I will make an appointment today

Dr. Sohaib :

That will be great.

Dr. Sohaib :

Get well soon :)

Dr. Sohaib :

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer:

Thank you,you have been very helpful.

Dr. Sohaib :

Take care :)