Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my next period is due on 24th of sept i took first response

Customer Question

my next period is due on 24th of sept i took first response this morning 6 days early it was negative was the test too early?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you.

Well, yes and no.

The First Response pregnancy test is very sensitive and may detect pregnancy as early as 5-6 days before a period, but it will also frequently miss pregnancies at this stage. If the test were positive, then you can rely upon the positive result, but a negative result is not yet reliable. A negative test would be more reliable 2-3 days before your anticipated period.

And if you have any variability in the length of your cycle, it can complicate matters even further, to the point that a test 2-3 days before your anticipated period could be inaccurate.

Therefore, since you couldn't know whether the test would be positive, it is difficult to say that you shouldn't have done the test because it was too early, but the test was too early for a negative result to be reliable. This is why the instructions for the test says that the test should be repeated if it is negative.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.