Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Are there any types of non prescriptive tranquiliser/sedatives

Customer Question

Are there any types of non prescriptive tranquiliser/sedatives on the market ?
I am feeling a number of symptoms of extreme stress/anxiety caused by personal cicumstances, addressing these will take some time but in the meantime I am extremely busy with work and cannot consider any time away from work for the foreseeable future.
My symptoms include being constantly tense, teeth clenching, palpitations amongst others, I know this is nothing more serious and also know that I must address the route cause but as I mention, I'm not able to do that at this point.
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

There are two natural supplements that have been shown to help

They are similar to prescription drugs but less potent

1) st john wort. This will work well

2)Valerian. Both are good options for anxiety

I hope this helps. If you have more questions just reply :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did read somewhere that side effects of St Johns Wort can be quite severe, exposure to sun can cause serious problems and I'm sure there were cases where restlessness/anxiety get worse.

I seem to sleep OK (though I wake up frequently during the night and have done for years) but I do have trouble relaxing, often find myself tense and having to deliberately relax muscles only to find 15 seconds later I've naturally tensed up again.

I can't sit down and watch TV for any length of time, I find myself twitching or constantly checking my Blackberry, so the idea of taking something that may increase my sysmptons doesn't sit well.

I am in a senior position at work, I look after a large team and I'm in charge of a major global project, confidence is key as I engage with many very senior people, I fear my symptons may impact my ability to do my job and/or how I'm perceived.

I know very little about valerian, do you think this could work better ?

Also, I'm certainly no alcoholic but I do attend a number of formal functions and drink wine, off beer or spirit, can both products be taken if alcohol has been taken ?

Many Thanks

Those concerns about SJW are valid.

It is usually very well tolerated but I understand your concern

I would think Valerian would be a good option.

I would not mix alcohol in more than 2 doses with Valerian.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK thanks.

Finally should I limit the taking of Valerian to a short period or is it designed to be taken over a few weeks/months ?

I desperately don't want to become dependent on anything but I've battled my current symptoms for some time now and know that doing nothing isn't an option.

Are there any adiction risks ?

When I feel I want to stop taking them should I just stop or reduce the dose down gradually ?

Sorry about the late reply :)

You can take it either way.

Long term or short term

It is safe both ways

There are no addiction risks but you should wean off the drug.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)