DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a forty seven year old female and still suffering from

I am a forty seven year old female and still suffering from mild but chronic acne mainly on my chin. The acne is the inflammatory type and spots tend to burst under the skin. I am currently on doxycycline and  topical isotrex and have been on this regime for over three months. Unfortunately at least two new spots seem to appear a week - this is not working for me. I am at my wits end. I have picked a current spot which has turned into an infected cyst. Would you recommend a cortisosteroid injection. If so where could I get this. I have access to London I have never been prescribed erythromycin antibiotic should i ask for this because my acne is inflammatory.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
How long has this gone on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had acne on and off since my late teens. Therefore my problem has been with me over thirty years. The problem area is my chin. Sometimes my skin is clearer than others. Having a particularly bad time at the moment. Should i be considering more dramatic treatments. Is there any blood tests I can take to see if it is hormonal related.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Thyroid
Adrenal
Sex hormone panel
All are pertinent
Any other medical diagnoses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have no thyroid problems or other medical issues as far as I am aware. I had a full blood count two years ago and everything was fine except low vitamin d levels. I have not however been checked for adrenal and hormones levels etc. I live in the UK. What checks should I be asking for?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
A full blood count and routine labs do not cover the labs needed
Thyroid studies
AM corticol
Sex hormone panel

In the case of the thyroid panel, TSH should be between .3 and 3 regardless the lab range, which will say up to 4.5 is normal. It is not. New quidelines.

Another aspect to this is diet. It is a critical aspect and if you tell me what you eat at each meal on a typical day, I can help you further.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.