Dr Peter Bush
Dr Peter Bush, Doctor
Experience:  Member of the Institute of Healthcare Management
75055251

Im currently dieting and wanting to lose weight. Would

I'm currently dieting and wanting to lose weight.

Would drinking diet coke affect diet. I know it has sweeteners in and does not contain calories, but I know sometimes sweeteners can create the same processes in the body as sugar.

Can you explain further to me?
Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 4 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi, Thank you for question this evening

Customer:

Customer:

So what do you think Doctor

Dr Peter Bush :

Sweeteners used in diet drinks to help weight loss can be just as harmful as full-sugar versions

Customer:

Can you explain further please

Dr Peter Bush :

Artificial sweeteners fail to trigger the brain regions and hormones that tell us we are full and so we eat more.

The drinks may also double the odds of developing metabolic syndrome – a cluster of symptoms that greatly increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

Dr Peter Bush :

So Diet drinks are not good for losing weight or long term health

Customer:

Ok, so except for not feeling full and future co morbidities, sweeteners do not affect ability to lose weight

Dr Peter Bush :

Aspartame is put in fizzy products such as Coke, Pepsi, 7UP and Sprite as a healthier option within Diet forms of these drinks..

But a study claims that some drinks containing the ingredient are linked to weight-gain, diabetes and heart disease – with just one can a day said to increase risks of high blood pressure. So this could actually make you increase weight rather than your goal of losing weight

Customer:

could you send me the article please

Customer:

any academic sources.

Dr Peter Bush :

Bear with me I am searching the medical for academic sources of information

Customer:

ok

Dr Peter Bush :

You have an article by the Mayo Clinic - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

so what would you recommend then

Customer:

as an alternative

Dr Peter Bush :

You may also find this article useful http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight-8-avoid-artificial-sweeteners

Customer:

what criteria would I have to meet to get prescribed orlistat?

Dr Peter Bush :

There are many different views for and against. On the other hand, this is a positive article by WebMD http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe

Dr Peter Bush :

Xenical is the drug you are referring to which contains orlistat, each health authority has its own guidelines, you would need an in depth consultation with your GP as there are a number of key points and points to note which could make the drug dangerous for you

Customer:

I think Xenical is the trade name, but yeh I will consult my GP

Customer:

I think they only prescribe it for up to 6 months due to cost?

Customer:

Is that correct?

Dr Peter Bush :

Your GP would be the best person to ask about this drug and whether it would be appropriate for you in your case. It is not so much cost, it is the fact that over time, the drug could become unsuitable for the patient or the patient to the drug. It is only meant for short term use.

Customer:

Ok, thank you

Customer:

so my last question. What is a safe and effective alternative for weight loss?

Customer:

drink wise

Dr Peter Bush :

An alternative in my opinion which is a safe and effective alternative would be water, vegetable juices or green tea. No problems, Please leave a positive review, and should you have any other questions please get in touch.