Dr Peter Bush
Dr Peter Bush, Doctor
Experience:  Member of the Institute of Healthcare Management
75055251

i had a bad chest infection and suspected swine flu 4 years

Customer Question

i had a bad chest infection and suspected swine flu 4 years ago since April this year I have choked on air 4 times and been unable to breath for a few seconds?
Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 3 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi Thank you for your question,

Dr Peter Bush :

Since you had a chest infection 4 years, have you had any other problems with your chest/lungs?

JACUSTOMER-tz3eltfs- :

no just a really bad cold in February 2012

Dr Peter Bush :

Your GP obviously thought you had some sort of allergy to prescribe antihistamines, do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks

JACUSTOMER-tz3eltfs- :

no but I got 2 rotweiller pups in the september of 2009 and it was myself who suggested maybe I was allergic to them he prescribed several antihistamines which made no difference that was before my airways began this blocking which seems to just happen unfortunately my gp has since retired

Dr Peter Bush :

Does the problem come after strenuous activity or exercise?

JACUSTOMER-tz3eltfs- :

no it just comes on out o the blue or no reason when just watching tv for example

Dr Peter Bush :

This is quite concerning as there seems to be no immediate cause for the trouble in breathing.

JACUSTOMER-tz3eltfs- :

however i do cough a lot especially during the night

Dr Peter Bush :

This is generally called dyspnea. Which is when a patient complains of difficulty, laboured or uncomfortable breathing and does need further investigation

Dr Peter Bush :

There can be a number of causes for this, which you will need to see a respiratory specialist to run tests to determine whether these can be affecting you, and then you can look at ways to avoid or treat this condition, which can be very distressing

JACUSTOMER-tz3eltfs- :

what would you recommend as I am quite scared now especially when driving or out walking my dogs? I mainly live alone

Dr Peter Bush :

I can fully understand your anxious, as any loss of the ability to breathe normally, is a very distressing episode.

JACUSTOMER-tz3eltfs- :

is this urgent i now feel it is not as a medical emergency but as a priority to see my gp? my chest feels a little laboured and has gone on too long?

Dr Peter Bush :

The most important thing to remember is not too panic, as this will make things worse, I understand that this must make you very nervous, but the best thing to do is not to panic. I would recommend you go to your new GP, and ask for a referral to the respiratory team at your local hospital.

Dr Peter Bush :

It is not a medical emergency but it is a priority to see your GP about, I can only apologise that one GP you saw did not help you, but you can see any GP within your surgery, or you can also move surgeries to see a GP you feel is more helpful and caring.

Dr Peter Bush :

You will most certainly need a chest x-ray, and also undergo a number of tests including blood tests, ECG, Exercise ECG, and also a sleep test so that you can be monitored as you sleep, as you say you do get symptoms during the night.

Dr Peter Bush :

If you are happy with my response at the end of the answer, please rate excellent below.

JACUSTOMER-tz3eltfs- :

ok well thank you for your help I run my own business and could not work today as I also felt very unwell I will phone to make an appointment asap thank you Peter

Dr Peter Bush :

That is no problems, we are here to help. If you have any further questions you can ask them at any time. It is a priority that you do see your GP, who can refer you for the tests you require.

Dr Peter Bush :

If you can please rate excellent below, so I can get credit for helping you this evening, I will arrange a follow up with you in 5 days to see how things went at the doctors, and to make sure you are okay.

Dr Peter Bush :

Was there anything else I can help you with this evening?

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi, we only receive credit for helping you if you rate below. I hope you believe I have provided you with excellent service this evening. If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to ask