DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

Ferritin level of 306 ng/ml in recent blood test. Neutrophils

Customer Question

Ferritin level of 306 ng/ml in recent blood test. Neutrophils 48.2 and Lymphocytes 38.1.
Have taken anti-biotics for a urine infection - 72 years old female - do I need to worry?!!
Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 4 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi Thanks for your question

Dr Peter Bush :

Your ferritin level is still within the normal range which for females is 11-306 ng/mLso although you are at the top of the normal range, it is still within the normal range for females.

Dr Peter Bush :

Are you online?

Dr Peter Bush :

Do you have the WCC (White cell count) as the FBC (full blood count) report often shows the % of each type of white cell but, unless the absolute WCC is known (as x 109), it is hard to intrepret.

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Please let me know if you would still like me to continue to search or if you would prefer for me to close your question.

Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr Helen, a UK GP.

Your question has been relisted and you may still be wanting an answer here so I hope I can help you.

There are two different things to address here.

1) The neutrophil and lymphocyte counts are both high but I note you say that you recently had a urine infection. These blood cells are involved in fighting infection so they may be high in response to this. This is a normal response to infection.

Your GP may wish to repeat this test to check they return to normal.

2) Ferritin is the major iron storage protein in the body. Your level is high, for women a level up to 150 ng/ml is considered normal. (It is 300 for men).

Your GP will want to investigate this further as having too much ferritin leads to iron overload which can make you feel quite unwell.

Sometimes high ferritin levels are inherited but only show up in later life (particularly in women as regular periods help shed some of the iron for many years). In other cases it happens as part of a reaction to another disease such as rheumatoid arthritis.

So, in summary I think your doctor will want to investigate this further for you partly to find out exactly why your ferritin level is high but also to prevent you running into problems with high iron levels later on.

All the best.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 23 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.