Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My 26-year old daughter has been diagnosed with having borderline

My 26-year old daughter has been diagnosed with having borderline personality disorder, suffers from hearing voices, and the voices cause her to self-harm. She is under the care of a psychiatric team, but she feels that the medication she has been prescribed is not helping sufficiently, and that the medics do not have the time to spend on cognitive therapy.
Would there be any advantage in arranging for private therapy sessions with a psychologist? Would hypno-therapy be an option? Is it possible to ever swith off the voices my daughter hears constantly?
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

I'm happy to help

I do think that private psychologic therapy would be helpful. The only important point here would be to be sure that the private psychologist is in contact with her current team. Her diagnosis is very serious and they should be working together on this problem.

Also, I don't think hypnotherapy would be helpful. Her disease is a result of an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. There is no evidence that hypnotherapy is helpful. I would avoid it.

It is possible to get the voices away but this must be done with medications. Sometimes it takes time for them to work or take full effect. Other times, the meds might need to be adjusted. It will be trial and error early on until they find the right mix.

I recommend continuing to work with the current team on meds and get some private counseling. That sounds like a great plan

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)