Dr Peter Bush
Dr Peter Bush, Doctor
Experience:  Member of the Institute of Healthcare Management
75055251

I have been on my yacht for two months and about 3 weeks ago

I have been on my yacht for two months and about 3 weeks ago a large swelling arose on my left elbow. I was not aware of injuring it and there is no pain. The selling has got larger and is soft and pliable to the touch. There is some discomfort when I put weight on it and it is now about the size of a golf ball. I don't feel unwell. I am 74 years old and on 10mg Ramipril for high blood pressure. It will be four weeks until I gan get to my home Doctor.
Any advice ?
Desmond Scott
Expert:  Dr Peter Bush replied 4 years ago.

Dr Peter Bush :

Hi thanks for your question

Dr Peter Bush :

Is the swelling causing you any pain at all

Customer:

No, a bit uncomfortable that is all

Dr Peter Bush :

Then it sounds like you may have an olecranon bursitis, it is nothing to do worry about, and should go away on its own.

Dr Peter Bush :

Is the movement of the elbow joint affected at all

Customer:

No, I can move in all directions

Dr Peter Bush :

Yes this definetly sounds like fluid on the elbow. This is what I recommend bearing in mind you are on a yacht at present and not able to see a medical professional.

• No treatment may be needed. A small painless thickening or swelling is common. It often clears by itself. If a small amount of fluid remains once the inflammation has gone then this can be left alone. However, a large collection of fluid may be unsightly.

• RICE treatment. You may find the swelling improves with (R)est, (I)ce packs, (C)ompression (wearing a bandage) and (E)levation (keeping the elbow in a raised position).

Dr Peter Bush :

If you keep to this, it should clear by itself, you may need to have some fluid removed if more remains when you are able to get to a medical professional.

Customer:

Thank you - rest is not a problem, if I had any more I would be asleep.

Customer:

How tight should a bandage be ?

Dr Peter Bush :

If the cause is an infection, then you may need some antibiotics, but this is safe until you get home. If you could leave a positive rate below.

Dr Peter Bush :

The bandage should be relaxed, not tight

Customer:

Thank you - you have been most helpful

Dr Peter Bush :

No problems, enjoy the rest of your break. If you need any further advice we are here to help you

I hope you are still having a good time aboard the yacht. How are things going?