Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

pain in neck going to top of arm/shoulder , elbow , wrist

pain in neck going to top of arm/shoulder , elbow , wrist and back of hand , there is a lump on arm below elbow ( had a scan dr said it was nothing but cant give blood from there as it hurts ) arm feels heavy throbbing , some limited movement , pin and needles some times in finger tips , have had scan on neck , have had physio for arm , have been taking ibuprofen tablets and gel on arm , cant sleep arm is so painful .
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

So you had MRI of the neck done right?

What did the report suggest?

What was your doctors opinion about this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

muscle going in right direction , no damage , all looks normal

same with scan on neck

dr opipn as we cant find anything sinister its all ok

but the fact that I am up at 3 in the morning with the pain say it not all ok

I have not had time off work but have been wearing a support bandage

Thank you very much for the useful information Julie.

You next steps should be;

Strong pain relieving medications such as tramadol, hydrocodone, oxycodone either alone or in combination with conventional NSAID's (like ibuprofen) and paracetamol.

Addition of Nerve soothers (like gabapentin or pregabalin) in your treatment to control the painful neuropathic symptoms such as pins and needles, tingling or burning.

Spinal cervical epidural injections for pain control.

Spinal nerve block injections for pain control.

Even you can also try TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) as well as accupuncture from a certified acupuncturist (many people get relief from this).

And if all these measures fail, then surgery will be the option (but this is usually not required in majority of the cases since most people do well with the treatment options i have mentioned).

You can discuss these with your doctor, get a referral to spinal surgeon for these procedures, or a pain clinic in your area.

Also do discuss about getting strong pain medications as well as nerve soothers i mentioned; while continuing with physiotherapy.

Goodluck and Get well soon.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Hello Julie.

Is there some thing that remains unanswered for you?

Please let me know, i will be glad to assist until you are satisfied.

Excellent Service is my goal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

telling me to take pain killers is no repose and a waste of my time and money

I have told you the possible and stepwise treatment plans.

Off course i can not treat you sitting on line, neither can prescribe you any medication (with out physically examining you). But i have explained to you the further management plan; that is maximum i can do here for you.

Please be free to ask me any question, clarifications regarding your problem until you are satisfied.

Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im telling you the same as ive told my dr so what do you think is wrong with me or do you think I neeed to see an expert , if so in what kind of expert ?

Thank you Julie.

These symptoms are typically due to a pinched nerve in the spine.

Although you say that your MRI report of the cervical spine was inconclusive, or did not show any thing, i would still bet on this diagnosis because many a times, these kind of mild lesions in the spine (which might give you severe symptoms) can be missed even on MRI and the diagnosis is made on clinical grounds.

A spinal surgeon is the right person for you right, as he can decide further treatment plan for you. He may order to repeat the MRI scan of the neck, or may ask to get the MRI re-reported by another radiologist to make sure this is not from a disc prolapse or vertebral degeneration in the neck.

The spinal surgeon may treat you himself, or if he decides that any intervention is not required, can give you potent medications to control this pain until this problem resolves gradually with this (with physiotherapy).

Kindest Regards.