Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

I am trying to find out what shakzring of the oesophagus is

Customer Question

I am trying to find out what shakzring of the oesophagus is for a friend? A doctor has surmised that this might be the reason that she cannot swallow. If you have any answers she would be most grateful.

Best wishes, Sue Adams.
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

A schatzki ring is a benign (opposite of malignant which means deadly) circumferential ring of tissue around the point where the esophagus ends and the stomach begins.

No one knows the exact cause for the formation of this ring. people may have it and not know it since it may not give any symptoms.

However at times it may decrease in diameter causing the narrowing of the lower end of esophagus (food pipe) which can make the swollowing harder specially for solids.

The best way to diagnose it would be with the help of an endoscope. Treatment for a ring that has started effecting the life of a patient would be through fracturing or stretching it during endoscopy.

Hope this explains the situation to you

If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please) If you need further clarification please do let me know instead of any feedback.

Warm Regards
Dr MASK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou that was extremely helpful.

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome :)

Best wishes
Dr MASK