Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hi im male 45,over the last 6 months had a thrush like rash

Customer Question

hi im male 45,over the last 6 months had a thrush like rash to the lower head of my penis ,top side but only visible when foreskin is pulled back.not bleeding but itchy and stings when in contact with water,tried creams but no joy.is it thrush or should I see my gp.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you.

There are several considerations in this situation, and it is not a mutually exclusive issue.

Certainly, when there is a rash that looks like yeast (thrush), it is most likely to be a yeast infection, but that is also dependent upon how characteristic is the rash. Certain characteristics are almost certainly going to be from yeast.

However, the question is not whether it is yeast or if you should see your GP. The question is how it can be managed and whether it is appropriate to see your GP for management. It is reasonable to first try an over the counter antifungal medicine, such as the Canesten or athlete's foot cream. However, if it does not respond to an over the counter anti-fungal cream, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor, both to confirm the diagnosis, but also for consideration of a prescription anti-fungal cream.

Therefore, it is likely that it is yeast, but also that you should see your GP.