Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I was recently referred to a private hospital as an NHS patient,

Customer Question

I was recently referred to a private hospital as an NHS patient, for an operation for a meniscal tear to my knee. I am not at all happy with this hospital, the main reason being that the pain in my knee is far worse now than it was six weeks ago, before the operation.
An MRI was done on my knee, and back, and an X-ray to my hip. All results were satisfactory. Visiting the consultant yesterday, he said that I must have an MRI on my hip, and possibly injections in my knee and back.
I cried all the way home, which is a 45minute drive, as the attitude of the consultant was cold, distant and hurried, and I felt dehumanised and insulted because of his attitude. I have been in pain for seven months, and I asked him for some pain relief, to be told to go to my GP.
I do not want to go back to that hospital. I want to go to our local NHS hospital which is only five minutes drive away. I was referred to the private hospital after being assessed by the assessor. I would like to know, please, if I have a right to be transferred, in view of my lack of satisfaction with the consultant, the staff, the facilities and the treatment I have received.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to your reply.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, you have every right to go back to your NHS hospital and ask for care.

Dr. David :

and let them know what you went through.

Dr. David :

they will want to see your MRI scan and xray images done at the private hospital so you might have to sign medical release paperwork to get that information to the NHS hospital.

Dr. David :

hello?