DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My seven year old Daughter has been vomiting on a regular basis

Customer Question

My seven year old Daughter has been vomiting on a regular basis for over 2 months. She is fit and well with no medical problems. The problem occurs when she is placed in a situation that causes discomfort i.e. first day back at school. Our GP has done a physical examination , with urine results coming back fine. Can you explain further, recommend a trusted website for further information, or suggest an anti sickness tablet (our GP has already explained they would prescribe?) Please help, just come back from a meal together, have a bag full of sick!!!

Expert:  jbmd replied 3 years ago.

jbmd :

Hi--I'd like to give you some advice. I can't treat or replace local medical care. Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

yes

jbmd :

Good. I'll assume that your local doctor is totally right--your daughter has no physical problems

jbmd :

It sounds to me as if she has irritable bowel syndrome

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

what gives you that impression

jbmd :

I recommend reading this website: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibschildren/

jbmd :

She has gastro-intestinal distress with vomiting when under emotional stress

jbmd :

It's really common with intelligent and sensitive kids

jbmd :

Has she lost weight or failed to grow or gain weight?

jbmd :

Another possibility if not tested for is celiac or wheat or other food allergies

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

ok, just checked recommended website, no pain, no cramping, no other symptoms of IBS! How about a trusted website for gastro-intestinal distress?

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

No weight etc.

jbmd :

She doesn't need all the symptoms to have IBS--one is enough--as long as all physical things are ruled out. Often problems with digesting carbs, especially free carbs

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

You appear to be randomly making suggestions. I have already researched the above, but need trusted websites please.

jbmd :

"IBS" is a kind of basket term for gastrointestinal problems that have no found physical cause.

jbmd :

That's from the US National Institute of Health.

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

what do you suggest we do from here?

jbmd :

Which is pretty much as trusted as we get--I can bow out and let you chat with someone else if you wish. I can

jbmd :

Does she get headaches?

jbmd :

You do know that with the genetic manipulation of wheat, celiac disease is on the rise.

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

i think i appear to have greater medical knowledge than you. Surely you should have gained all the facts prior to making suggestions. You are making random suggestions then keep asking further questions. I wish to leave your chat room and will not be paying.

jbmd :

I don't think you have greater medical knowledge and it is bad to make decisions without gathering facts--that is a firm truth about medical care. There is a link between gi problems and headaches in kids.

jbmd :

I also offered to opt out and refer to someone else but didn't want to abandon your problem until you had what you needed.

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

thats exactly what you did, make suggestions without gathering the facts. No I don't want to speak with someone else and will not be using your service again.

jbmd :

I would NOT put a child on an anti-sickness drug without a diagnosis of a physical condition, except for rarely for special circumstances. I would use ginger, ginger tea, peppermint tea.

jbmd :

No, I said that, if your doctor is correct that there is no physical problem, it's a problem of uncertain cause/IBS (which is of uncertain cause) and also was told by you that your daughter gets sick with emotional distress.

jbmd :

Since you say you know more than me, what do YOU think this is (asked in the interest of helping your child)

JACUSTOMER-ml03qomb- :

ok, we will have to agree to disagree. No further contact please.

jbmd :

Perhaps she simply needs to speak with someone about her stress. I will opt out now.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA
I am a board certified doctor not only in medicine but in integrative medicine [integrating all modalities] as well as certified in holistic medicine.

I can help if you will list your remaining concerns