Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Brown watery stool since Thursday evening and still the same

Customer Question

Brown watery stool since Thursday evening and still the same with a fever and sweats. Wat are the causes. Pat.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have vomiting?
Have you tried any medications?
Are you accepting fluids?
Have you noticed low urine output ?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No vomiting. Haven't used any medicine. Accepting fluids no problem. And yes low urine output

Dear Pat, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I can understand your concern.

Your symptoms are suggestive of Viral Stomach flu.

You need to take Tab Imodium(it is available as OTC) to reduce the frequency of bowel movements ,this can be taken maximum up to 4 times as per the requirement. It would reduce frequency of loose bowel movements.

You should Tab.Acetaminophen to get relief from fever, stomach ache & cramps. You should eat something containing salt, such as crisps or soup.

You should maintain good standards of hygiene .You can take Ready-mixed rehydration sachets (eg Dioralyte, Rehidrat). You should Keep yourself hydrated and maintain fluid levels.

Prolonged diarrhea may have lead to electrolyte imbalance. It becomes very important to keep yourself hydrated, As most of the problems occur due to dehydration which and it can lead to serious conditions such as renal failure and even shock.

Signs of dehydration are-
Dry mouth, sunken eyes, low urine output, lethargic.
Having low urine output, is indicative of dehydration, This should not be left ignored. It has to be immediately evaluated by doctor.

A stool culture test may be done. If there is underlying Intestinal parasite or bacterial infection, then you may need antibiotics.

I would suggest, that you should not delay and get it urgently managed in ER ASAP.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert