Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I had surgery (under general) to remove an impacted wisdom

Customer Question

I had surgery (under general) to remove an impacted wisdom tooth 3 months ago. Healing process was fine. Usual swelling and pain, but healed quickly and numbness in tongue finally almost gone now. However, 10 days ago gum surrounding area and jaw started to hurt again having being fine for weeks. Spoke to my dental surgery who were completely unhelpful, and just promised to write and refer me back to my surgeon.

An appointment may take weeks at the very least. What could the problem be? There's no hotness or temperature, so guessing an infection can be ruled out. After initial follow-up appointment with surgeon 6 weeks post op he was happy with progress and assured me all tooth had been removed.

Would be grateful for any advice thanks.
Lucy, Cornwall
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Are the gums red or look inflamed? Are there any enlarged nodes below the jaw margin {submandibular area}?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the gums are not really red and no enlarged nodes. Very hard to see right in the crease of the jaw but could the wound have opened again after healing up? There is no socket as tooth was impacted so gum cut and stitched back together - to the cheek I think.

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Hello Lucy,

Infection looks less likely considering absence of redness or swollen nodes.

Few other causes need to be looked for - First thought comes to my mind is referred pain from tempero-mandibular joint/ middle ear or cervical spine. Other possibility of irritation of the concerned nerve at the spine or at its course {diabetes, vitamin deficiency}. You may need few investigations like blood tests/ x ray for mandible and tempero-mandibular joint to get more answers.

Motrin should give relief as of now. Warm water gargles with pinch of salt should help too.

Wish you well.

Best