Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

my partner has moyamoya disease and it awaiting a decision

Customer Question

my partner has moyamoya disease and it awaiting a decision to decide whether he will have to have brain surgery, in the mean time is he allowed to fly on a plane
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Moyamoya syndrome is a disease involving arteries in the brain that become constricted. This causes blockage to the blood flow is and also by blood clots that tend to form.

A collateral circulation grows around these blocked blood vessels to but the new blood vessels are small and weak. They are prone to hemorrhage, aneurysm and thrombosis.

This means that the disease is risky for blood clots and bleeding into the brain. Long plane trips may increase the risk. The risk is primarily for blood clots in the leg but the risk of increasing blood clots and risk of bleeding with this disease may also be present.

It is safest not to fly unless it is essential for treatment.