Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

when I have been toilet, there has been blood from the back

Customer Question

when I have been toilet,
there has been blood from the back passage on the tissue
what could this be
I do not suffer any pain or discomfort
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The most likely cause of blood on the tissue after a bowel movement are hemorrhoids or an anal fissure. Hemorrhoids are dilated veins and can occur on the outside or the inside, but if you are not feeling anything on the outside, it could only be internal haemorrhoids in your case. An anal fissure is a small tear of the lining of the anal canal, which can become inflamed and irritated. There are several other causes of blood in the stool or on the tissue, including inflammatory bowel disease, abnormal growths of blood vessels, polyps, diverticula, or tumours.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine which of these conditions has caused the problem, but it is reasonable to first see if the problem recurs. If there is blood on the tissue that resolves quickly, it was most likely from a small tear that has healed.

It is worth noting that the most worrisome potential cause of blood in the stool or on the tissue is from colon cancer, and it would be appropriate to consider colon cancer screening beginning at age 50, even if there was no episode of blood in the stool or on the tissue.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed my prior answer. Sometimes the notification system fails, so I wanted to post again to prompt another notification to try to assure that you receive the answer.