DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Strained my left ankle. Swollen with a small hard lump (bone)

Customer Question

Strained my left ankle. Swollen with a small hard lump (bone) sticking out. Went to doctors and for an xray and was sent home with crutches and told to rest as i had damaged ligaments. However I have always had the small lump in my foot since a previous ligament injury, however this was 16 years ago.
Been resting for 3 days and taking diclofenac sodium, however pain is getting worse and swelling is not improving. I can move my foot up and down but cant rotate it anti clockwise Pain is mainly around this small lump at the left side of my foot.

Any advice, should i go back to the hospital
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from ja
Yes
Not only go back
Demand an MRI
Clearly ligament damage on top of old ligament damage and a lump can mean the need for ligament repair.
You can not see this with x ray.

Only MRI is optimal in this situation.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please to not forget a positive rating when done.