DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, I am a 29 year old male with good health and no passed

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 29 year old male with good health and no passed medical history. A few days ago I had some really spicy food and then went to the toilet. I was a little forceful when I went to the toilet and then there was some blood when wiping. It was bright red and fresh. Later on in the day when I took a mirror to look I had to squat down and then while squating there was some blood again it seemed from the pressure. A couple of days have passed since then and there has been no blood whenever I have had a bowel movement. My bowel movement have been normal and no changes there maybe just a little
More hard, could this be a due to a fissure or hemmorhoids or could
also be a symptom of something more serious colon cancer or something like that.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified physician with over 20 years of clinical experience. I will help you with any and all questions you have. Use reply as needed for follow up.
Most likely
Hemorrhoids
Very common and this was a hemorrhoid scenario.

Less common fissure...and exam will see if this is the case.

Not at all likely cancer, unless you have a genetic family cancer syndrome, which you would know by family history.

Not likely anything else, as no other symptoms.

Diverticulosis is the one other possibility, pockets that form on the colon that bleed. A short scope would show this.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating when done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have some follow up questions, what makes you think that this was likely a hemmorhoid and not a fissure or vise versa? Also I do not have any family history of cancer but again what would be the main cause for concern or symptom of colon cancer I have read bleeding is a sign of this.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
because hemorrhoids are far more common.
Fissures and hemorrhoid both heal up for the most part if you keep the stool soft, do sitz baths, and don[t get constipated.

There is no concern for colon cancer...too young.

Even if someone in the family had it, we would not do a colonoscopy till age 40, 50 other wise.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What would be the main difference between fissures and hemmorhoids symptom wise? Also why would there be blood when I squated to have a look, can spicy food also irritate hemmorhoids?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No difference if they were both internal.
If external you would see the difference, a bulging vein v. a fissure.

Yes spicy food can irritate hemorrhoids.

They can still ooze blood for a while when you squat to look, but that should clear up.

And do not forget to have your doctor examine you.

Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I wait a little bit to see how it develops before having an examination by the doctor?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Not a good idea to avoid a doctor, but yes you can wait a little, but you still have to see a doctor.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think this is something serious? I thought you mentioned that the hemmroids can heal on their own and there isn't a risk of cancer?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No I do not think it is serious.

Yes everything I have said is correct.
But anytime there is bleeding, you STILL need a doctors visit.

We do not diagnose or treat here, and we can not examine you. OK?
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I understand that, I am just wanted confirm if you thought this is somethig more serious. You think it could be hemmorhoids?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I already told you this right?
Yes I think it is most likely hemmorroids.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to click a smiley face
We are not paid by ja for our time and expertise unless you do so?
Further questions?
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello before providing a rating I have a follow up question. I saw my colorectal consultant today he had a look at my rectum and said that I had a couple of fissures and also an internal hemmorhoid. He prescribed some creams and said that I should have a flexible sigmoidoscopy to ensure there are no polyps or inflammation. Can you please advise what would be the sympotms of polyps and if from the information you think there is a chance of polyps I would really appreciate a response Ithis as I am a little anxious. Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Polyps usually have no symptoms at all. That is why we screen for them.
I think your chance of polyps would be extremely low.

Please click excellent service.

Find me as needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But if the chance of polyps is low why would I require a flexible sigmoidoscopy as this is meant to find any polyps or inflammation?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The flex sig allows the doctor to look at the fissure, the hemorrhoids, the degree of inflammation, etc.

It would also see diverticulosis, pockets that form in the small bowel, which can happen at your age.

Polyps are not likely at all.

But the test is still a very good idea.

Please click a positive rating, this is the only way we are paid by JA.
We can not work well for you without this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just a final follow up what are the symptoms of divercutlosis? Does it sound like something I could also have?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes it could be..bleeding, pain, sometimes inflammation and infection, but less likely than your diagnosis.

You can still find me after you rate, hopefully excellent
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I will give you a very good rating apologies for all the follow ups, diverticulosis and polyps sound unlikely based on what I have described to you?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Diverticulosis, unlikely
Polyps very unlikely.

Please do not forget a positive rating.