Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My relative was given the all clear after a tumour was removed.

Customer Question

My relative was given the all clear after a tumour was removed. He was told it had all been removed and he was clear. Shortly after that my relative she was pregnant . Months later he was told some cancer had been left behind following a scan, and he had been offered chemo. With him having the cancer still and her getting pregnant to which now she is 18 months old is the baby. I am worried in case he could have passed anything on through the pregnancy to either the Mum or the baby. He now has the cancer is all over his body including the groin, liver, stomach, back, lungs, bones and bone marrow and is on chemo treatment now. Could anything have been passed to the Mum or the baby with him actually having the cancer at the time of conceiving . I do hope now but I am really worried and do not know who to ask. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.
The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Hi there,
This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I do understand your concern.
Cancer is not a contagious disease.
This is not an infection.
Cancer occurs due to the genetic changes in the cells that result in uncontrolled growth or tumor formation.
The body does not know how to switch the uncontrolled activities.
Now, some cancer is hereditary meaning runs in the families.
The genes can be passed to the baby from the father ( his) side in that case.
This will not affect the mum.
And in most cases, there has to be defective gene in mom's side as well.
So, even though he is the father of the kid, the kid may not develop any cancer in later life.
And this of course does not affect mom at all.

Best wishes,

Please reply here if you have any further question.
Please do not rate till you have all your questions answered to your full satisfaction.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.
Very welcome.

It was my pleasure to help you today. Best wishes,Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/