Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had excessive bleching for a week now - maybe bleching 150 times a day. Sometimes

Customer Question

I have had excessive bleching for a week now - maybe bleching 150 times a day. Sometimes it is very painful and presses on my chest as huge amounts of wind comes and then I start to heave as if going to be sick - it is all very uncomfortable. From an MRI scan they say I have an inflamed lower intestine and wait to have another MRI scan in 6 weeks, cameras showed nothing and I have a very bad reaction to prep. Life is beingvery unpleasant do you think it is just IBS and I should just get on with it or does it need more investigation?
Thank you so much.
Joanne Hunter
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--were you screened for H pylori, celiac disorder, and did you have a gastric emptying study?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if I have been screened for H pylori - what is that? I have been screened for Celiac and it is negative same as lactose.

What is a gastric emptying study?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
H pylori is also known as the ulcer bug but there doesn't have to be an ulcer with it Joanne. A gastric emptying study is a nuclear medicine test where a meal is given and the emptying time of the stomach is studied to see if the patient has gastroparesis--slow stomach emptying. You need both studies since this isn't IBS. H pylori can be treated with antibiotics and gastroparesis can be treated with Reglan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why do you think it is not IBS?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
IBS is a lower intestinal problem with cramps, diarrhea, bloating, etc. This is more of a stomach problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But they say my lower intestine is inflamed and I started with very bad constipation - which I still have, and stomach aches and pains - this started in January, but now the symptons have changed as stated, could the latter have happened because of IBS or could I have both?

Joanne

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Joanne. I didn't mean that you couldn't also have IBS but I think you also have a stomach problem that is not related to that and would be treated differently from IBS