Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Please help shed some light on what is going on with my head.

Customer Question

Please help shed some light on what is going on with my head. I have periods when I feel like I have a cement blanket over my brain. It feels like there is a constant heaviness that weighs on my brain. I struggle to think and any thinking requiring logic or reason is out of the question. I also have difficulty remembering any information moments after I am given it and focusing on conversations I am taking part in.

I am finding it frustrating and a little frightening. It is effecting all aspects of my life especially work
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Natasha : hello
Dr. Natasha : are you there?
Dr. Natasha : do you snore?
Dr. Natasha : please type and hit reply
Dr. Natasha : I have some questions I need to ask y ou
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Just back. Hello
Dr. Natasha : hi
Dr. Natasha : do you snore?
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Yes I've been told I occasionally snore
Dr. Natasha : Have you had any sore of sleep study?
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : No
Dr. Natasha : any stress or history of depression?
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Yes to both. Came off of citalopram 8 months ago and haven't felt any depression symptoms until the last 2 weeks. I've been feeling increasingly apathetic & lethargic but associated it with this inability to think properly.
Dr. Natasha : have you had your thyroid checked recently?
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : About 18 months ago & gp said it was within normal levels
Dr. Natasha : how lonh have you had these symptoms?
Dr. Natasha : how long have you had these symptpms
Dr. Natasha : are you still with me?
Dr. Natasha : how long have you had the issues with focusing?
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Still here! Off & on for 3 weeks always accompanied by this heaviness
Dr. Natasha : thanks
Dr. Natasha : well, often these symptoms are from thyroid dosese
Dr. Natasha : *disase
Dr. Natasha : but often it is undiagnosed sleep apnea
Dr. Natasha : I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a sleep study
Dr. Natasha : it is easy and a quick fix if this is the case
Dr. Natasha : If the study is normal, I would consider speaking to your doctor about depression
Dr. Natasha : This is another common cause.
Dr. Natasha : You may not feel depressed, but your inability to concnentrate suggest otherwise
Dr. Natasha : and it is making you more anxious
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : And actually varying pins & needles on my hands & feet
Dr. Natasha : interesting
Dr. Natasha : how about vitamin b12 or folate levels checked
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Isn't sleep apnea normally caused by being over weight, smoking or excessive alcohol consumption? I am not over weight, a smoker and rarely drink alcohol.
Dr. Natasha : no actually not necessarily
Dr. Natasha : I know some thin people who have floppy soft palates
Dr. Natasha : or you may have another sleeping disorder which is preventing you from getting sleep
Dr. Natasha : honestly, it is the next step for you
Dr. Natasha : and if this is normal, and your thyroid is normal, you need to see a psychiatrist
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : How long is the typical waiting time on the NHL for a sleep clinic?
Dr. Natasha : I don't actually know
Dr. Natasha : I am reading that it is about 1 monthh
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : I do grind my teeth very badly & wear a night guard but often take it out in my sleep...probably because I I can't get a good grind going with it in! I would have associated poor sleep as having this kind of impact on my life!
Dr. Natasha : yeah, that may have a lot to do with it!
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : isassociated is this sleep study something I could get done privately?
Dr. Natasha : oh yes, you can definitely speed it up that way
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Do I still need to go through my gp to access it privately?
Dr. Natasha : they may have a place which is good that they recommend, but you can do anything privately :-)
Dr. Natasha : but I would start with your GP
Dr. Natasha : they are a good resource and they can help you interpret the results and figure oua a plan
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : if sleep apnea is the problem and it certainly sounds a likely suspect what medical cures or preventions are available? Is there anything I can do myself in the mean time?
Dr. Natasha : there is nothing really do right now
Dr. Natasha : because you are not overweight and you don't smoke
Dr. Natasha : they give you a special machine to use at night or you may want suregry
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : I take amytriptoline (sp) every night because of my teeth grinding could this add to the problem?
Dr. Natasha : probably not- and if you stopped taking it, it would make you have withdrawal symptoms and insomnia
Dr. Natasha : wait for the sleep study
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Will make an appointment with gp tomorrow and hopefully rush a sleep study through because the way I've felt today has prevented me from doing anything. Can't imagine tolerating many more days like this!
Dr. Natasha : great. and get your thyroid checked
Dr. Natasha : TSH should be 0.3 to 3.0
Dr. Natasha : you never know :-)
Dr. Natasha : I hope that I provided you with excellent service? :-)?
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : I will request blood tests as well. Thanks Natasha, you've been very informative. I appreciate your insite.
Dr. Natasha : you are welcome . I will check in with you in a couple of weeks
Dr. Natasha : hello?
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : Yes excellent, thanks
Dr. Natasha : great. sleep well :-)
JACUSTOMER-33b3pzae- : If only!!!