Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi, May I know are there any self check methods for enlarged

Customer Question

Hi, May I know are there any self check methods for enlarged spleen? And what are the associating symptoms to it. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

May I know if you have any symptoms?
Do you have pain in abdomen?
Is there fever?
Are you taking any medications?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can felt that slight aching feeling on the side and at the back of my body near my waist. Other than that I have no other symptoms. I would just like to know if there's any self examination methods for enlarged spleen? Thanks!

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The area of ache/pain you have described is medically called left hypochondrium(left upper quadrant). Its most common causes are:gastric ulcer,pancreatitis,spontaneous splenic rupture,diseases of the colon,distension of the splenic flexure of the colon and some other rare causes.

Your spleen is a small organ located just below your rib cage on your left side.An enlarged spleen (splenomegaly) is not a disease in itself but the result of an underlying disorder. Many disorders can make the spleen enlarge.

Under normal circumstances,in most people,spleen cannot be felt or palpated as it is too high up behind the left rib cage.

Spleen is to be examined by your doctor only.It is quite difficult to self examine it & detect if it is enlarged.

When it is enlarged, the doctor may feel it by having you take a deep breath in then,out-causing the diaphragm to contract, pushing the spleen down and allowing the tip to be palpated.

To view video of spleen examination,click here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eut7B6KxIFs

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help! May I know what are the more obvious symptoms that are associated with enlarged spleen?

Can lying flat on my front cause lower backache and also aching around my waist just below my ribs too? There is no pain or whatsoever, its just the aching feeling..

Dear customer

Thank you for your reply.
I need a little more information before I give you the final answer:

Do you have pain in left side under the ribs?
Since how long you have this pain?
Any history of recent infection or pain?
Any irregularity in menstrual periods?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have pain in left side under the ribs. It is just an achy feeling.. Not severe but slight aching. It is only when I lie on the bed.

I have had this feeling for months if I am not wrong.. But this feeling comes and go.. Does not really affect my lifestyle. I would probably feel it 2 weeks once or 1 week once..

No recent infection or pain.

Menstrual periods are quite on time and no sign of heavy menstrual flow.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info & asking follow up questions.

Following are the symptoms of enlarged spleen:

-Abdominal or back pain in the area of the spleen in the upper left part of the abdomen or the left side of the back.

-Feeling full without eating or after eating only a small amount — this can occur when an enlarged spleen presses on your stomach

-Anaemia

-Frequent infections

-Easy bleeding

-Sometimes there may be no symptoms of spleen enlargement

The symptoms you have described does not seem to be enlarged spleen.

The possibility of your symptoms can be myalgia or myositis.The myopathies are neuromuscular disorders in which the primary symptom is muscle weakness due to dysfunction of muscle fiber.

It can be inflammation of the muscular tissue like fibro myosistis or myositis.Another possibility can be of gastritis.It is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach

You may need following tests:

-Ultrasound of upper abdomen
-Barium meal studies
-Upper Endoscopy
-X-ray lower back

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert