Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My husband who is 72 had a laparotomy on the 3rd of October

Customer Question

My husband who is 72 had a laparotomy on the 3rd of October for a twisted bowel, he is now at home a week from hospital, when he was in hospital he was on a drip up to two days before he was discharged which meant he was getting all the food he needed.
Since he has come home he has no appetite and I cannot get him to eat anything at all except for protein drinks etc. He is getting very thin and he has no energy or strength and stays in bed 97% of the time.
Is this normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Well, this is not normal of course but if he's taking in plenty of liquid nourishment and having any kind of bowel movements then at least he's not obstructed again. I think his doctor needs to know about this--it may only be depression that has robbed him of his appetite but considering his age he needs more substantial nourishment and he may need an appetite stimulant like Megace to induce him to eat more
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is able to drink milky drinks and protein drinks but finds it difficult to eat solid foods will this change as he gets stronger.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
If he can get enough nourishment that way then yes his appetite should improve as he feels better. Please consider rating my service to you