Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had labrynthitis for 7 daya ans I am on serc 16 mg The

Customer Question

I have had labrynthitis for 7 daya ans I am on serc 16 mg The vertigo is nearly gone but I am deaf in my right ear for a wek now, My sister in law is a gp in london and she says I should also be on a course of steroids to avoid permanent damage to my hearing my local GP disagrees
What should I do? I don't want to lose the hearing ? Should I attend an ENT specialist ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

The sub acute period of labrynthitis should last for 2 weeks during which time most of the symptoms recover. The hearing loss usually resolves within these 2 weeks.
Steroids are useful for early recovery in symptoms because theu have an anti inflammatory effect and should be given if there is hearing loss with labrynthitis.
However, an ENT specialist will be the best judge to that. If steroids are to be started this is the best time specially during this week. If you can see an ENT doctor within the next 2 or 3 days, then you should rely to his/her examination of the ear. If s/he thinks that steroids will be useful then they should be prescribed.
Steroids for labrynthitis are given for a few days and do not have any adverse effects because they are given for a short duration in a limited dosage, so they are beneficial.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I am satisfied with the result

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Gerry, please leave a positive rating. You can do this by selecting 'excellent service' or 5 stars.
Best.