Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I started keeping my back several years ago it

Customer Question

Hi I started keeping my foreskin back several years ago it now just stays back all
The time. I can get it to fully cover the head if I pull the foreskin. Should I consider circumcision ate their benefits or is it better to keep foreskin and try get it to go
Back over the head
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some clarification:
Do you want to now have the foreskin over the head of the penis?
Or do you prefer to have the head exposed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't mind having head exposed but is it dangerous keeping foreskin back is it better to get circumcised or try get foreskin to go back over head
I asked for the clarification because you have worded your question as though there are two options, but there really are three options.

The three options are to get circumcised, to resume the foreskin over the head, or to continue as you are currently doing with the foreskin always pulled back over the head, and this last option is the only bad option.

When the foreskin is always pulled back over the head, there is a risk that it can become irritated and scarred, which can then tighten around the base of the head of the penis, which is sufficiently tight can compromise blood flow. The medical term for this condition is paraphimosis. In more severe cases, it is a medical emergency and may need emergent surgery. Therefore, it is recommended that the foreskin should never be kept pulled back for any great length of time. Obviously, the foreskin is designed to slide back and forth, particularly during sex, and that is fine, but it should not be pulled back and kept back for any significant length of time.

If you want to keep the head exposed, it is clearly better to get circumcised than to continue what you have been doing.

If you can pull the foreskin over the head and keep it pulled over the head, that is a fine option. If the foreskin has been kept back for so long that it will not stay pulled over the head, then it may be necessary to pursue circumcision.

Either of these latter options would be OK, so it cannot be said that circumcision would be better than getting the foreskin to stay over the head of the penis, if the latter can be done. But in the situation in which it is difficult to get the foreskin to stay over the head of the penis, it would be better to get circumcised.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can't get foreskin to stay over head so should I get circumcised
Yes, if you cannot get the foreskin to stay over the head of the penis, it would be better to get circumcised.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks is it better to get inner or outer foreskin removed
It is usually better to get a complete circumcision.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok will u lose sensitivity if circumcised
There is some mild loss of sensitivity if the head of the penis is exposed, but it would be no different than what you have experienced by keeping the foreskin retracted. Most men do not notice a difference because it is so slight.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So is it better to be circumcised than try get foreskin to return over the head, are there better benefits to being circumcised
There are only limited other benefits to getting circumcised. For many years, we have told parents that it is a personal preference whether to have their sons circumcised, but there has been increasing evidence that there is a slight benefit in a decreased risk of HIV transmission. For this reason, the WHO and other medical groups have recommended circumcision of newborns. It is not as clear that there would be a similar benefit for a 34 year old. There also would be the benefit of no risk of infection of the foreskin, but these infections are relatively uncommon.

In your case, the primary benefit is the avoidance of the risk of paraphimosis.