Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took my son to hospital 48 hours ago with a suspected reoccurring

Customer Question

I took my son to hospital 48 hours ago with a suspected reoccurring clot in his leg due to a fracture 2 years ago. They did blood tests and said it isn't clot but maybe over work otr over study borth of which my son doesn't do. I know my son is despraxic and dyslexic.His pains have now moved to the other leg and he is limping, he was limping on other leg two days ago. Please advice if I need urgent medical help and were to go, or who to speak to I live in Belfast , Northern Ireland.Out of hours doctor told me just to give him Nurofen and paracetemol x
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Where is the pain in the leg?
Is there anything that will exacerbate or ease the pain?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back, but wanted to address what information is available.

The description of the pain is most likely musculoskeletal in origin. Even if there was not the recent evaluation for blood clot, it is unusual for the pain of a blood clot to migrate from one leg to the other.

If there has not been recent trauma, there is usually no urgency in pursuing an evaluation for musculoskeletal pain. If the pain is severe, seeking pain relief may be urgent, but the evaluation for the cause of the pain is usually not urgent.

The Nurofen and paracetamol is reasonable. It also may help to apply moist heat to the area of pain. If the symptoms improve over a few days, then that is fine, but if the symptoms persist, it would be appropriate to be seen again, and it may require evaluation by an Orthopaedic specialist.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.