Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Does feeling tightness on your left abdomen always mean an

Customer Question

Does feeling tightness on your left abdomen always mean an enlargement in spleen? I have been feeling this on and off tightness on my left abdomen and it is not really affecting my lifestyle. I can still eat normally and after a heavy meal I will feel a tightness on my left side. Been to the doc last week and he didnt seem to show any worry on it. I am just wondering what can be the cause of this feeling.. It doesnt feel painful just tightness.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for requesting me to answer your question.

The symptoms you are having of feeling tightness on your left abdomen can be due to various causes:gastritis,gastric ulcer,pancreatitis,spontaneous splenic rupture,diseases of the colon,distension of the splenic flexure of the colon and some other rare causes.

As you feel tightness in left side of abdomen of heavy meal,gastritis can be a probable cause of your symptoms.It is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.It is caused by a various causes like physical stresses, social habits, chemicals, and infections,excessive use of Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

You need following tests:

-Upper Endoscopy/Gastroscopy or EGD,
-Ultrasound scan can of whole abdomen,
-Barium meal studies
-Barium follow through(BFT)

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay I just went to see a doctor again and he said that my case is most probably got to do with gastric and has given me some medications. I will give it a few days time and see if the condition gets better.

Also, half an hour ago, i found that this area near to my butt is quite aching and painful when i touch and pressed onto it. It was fine this morning. There isnt any bruises or so. May I know what can be the cause of the aching feeling when there's no bruises? I've upload a pic to show the specific location and the ache is just that area where i pressed.

Dear Emily
Thank you for asking follow up question.

Yes,the most probable cause of your symptoms of tightness in left abdomen can be due to gastritis.

I have seen the picture.The aching feeling near the butt you are having on applying the pressure can be due to some injury unknowingly(although you do not have bruises, or pimples or strain of muscles.

There can be a acne/pimple beneath the skin that has not developed completely yet.Another possibility can be of staph infection.

I advice you to wait & watch the symptoms.

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont think its pimple because it ache when I walk too.

Because this morning I had a tummy ache and had bowel movement thrice and I was straining.. Can this be the cause of the ache at that area too?

Dear Emily
Thank you for reply.

Yes,muscle strain or pressure can also cause such symptoms.

As you said that this morning you had diarrhea & tummy ache & this strain may have caused pressure on the strain.

For relief take tab. Acetaminophen from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've tried using the arnica cream to rub gently on that aching area twice for the day and it seem to swell a little. Not very obvious but you can feel the soreness in that area.. Is that normal? And can i still take the acetaminophen tmr?
Dear Emily
Thank you for reply.

Arnica is an unproven treatment.Although it is used whenever there is damage to soft tissue, such as bruising, sprains, swelling associated with fractures and muscle damage from strain or overuse,but it is not approved by FDA.

Also it may cause allergy sometimes.

Yes,you can take Acetaminophen from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert