Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Aching on the localised area of the left butt. Any medications

Customer Question

Aching on the localised area of the left butt. Any medications or remedies to resolve the issue?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long had this been going on and is the area actually tender to the touch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This morning I had quite a bad tummy ache and had diarrhea thrice in the morning. I went to see a doctor after that and had the medications and my diarrhea stopped, everything was back to normal. However during later part of the day, when i was lying flat on my tummy, there this aching pain on the left area of the butt as shown on the image, and thats when the ache started. There isnt any sign of bruise of redness on that area but it aches when i press onto it and when i walked. Then i started applying arnica cream twice for the day.

Right now, its seems like it swell a little but very minimal, no redness or so. Just slightly sore. Not sure if I am imagining it but seem to be that case. May I know what could be the likely cause for that affected area? Does it seem like a serious issue to you? I dont feel lump of anything.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Emily. It looks as though you're indicating the midline (central part) of your sacrum. I don't think this is anything serious and it may just be a slight inflammation of that area--somewhat like a bursitis. For now I suggest some ibuprofen if it's bothersome. That said, this could be a pilonidal cyst developing so if a lump appears and redness occurs, you need to have a doctor look at it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is pilonidal cyst? And are they some serious illness? And what are the treatment like for that? Does it requires surgery?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Not a serious illness. It's a clogged hair follicle that produces a cyst. Sometimes they resolve on their own but if not they can be easily excised under local anesthesia.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are there medication to such condition? And is this something common? Are there any home remedies to avoid it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No medications are effective for it and it isn't uncommon. Warm moist heat can sometimes help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just one last question, can this really be done under local anesthesia? I've seen forum saying that they were required to under surgery via general anesthesia.. Why is this so?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Small ones can be done under local. Larger ones do require general anesthesia
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, doctor chip, I went to see my gp regarding the aching area on my buttock. He felt that area and said that he dont think there's a cyst in it as it would usually feel a lump or round like shape on that area. But he tried to feel and just said he believe its a ligament strain. However, that area swell a little, can a ligament strain cause swelling? And is his description of a pilonidal cyst correct? Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes, usually there is a lump or swelling and I only mentioned a pilonidal cyst as a possibility for pain in that area. This is probably just an inflamed ligament and it should resolve soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay so means inflamed ligament can cause swelling too? And may I know what cause inflamed ligaments? Because I don't remember doing vigorous exercise. Or can other factors also cause inflamed ligament? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
There can be swelling along the ligament and sometimes this just happens, like bursitis in a joint. This really is nothing for your to worry about Emily