Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My girlfriend has the coldsore herpies virus and we are always

Customer Question

My girlfriend has the coldsore herpies virus and we are always careful when she gets a coldsore, it has blown up on her virginia, she is being treated by the Dr, it flared up Thursday evening, we had sex Wednesday afternoon, do I need to get tested?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Do you mean that she gets both oral cold sores and genital/vaginal sores?
Has she been tested to indicate whether it is HSV1 or HSV2 (or both)?
Is she taking a medicine regularly for the herpes?
Or does she only take medicine for the herpes during an outbreak?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have known her for 2 years, this is the first time she has had vaginal sores, she is not on regular medicine.

Im not sure if it is HSV1 or HSV2

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, if she has genital herpes, it is appropriate for any sexual partner to be tested regularly.

The key problem is that a person that is infected with either type of herpes can shed the virus at times when there are no symptoms. Some of this shedding will occur a day or so before an outbreak, but there also can be some shedding that can occur completely unrelated to an outbreak.

In studies that have looked at the risk of transmission of genital herpes to the unaffected partner, avoiding sex on days of an outbreak are not effective at preventing transmission. In couples that avoid intercourse on days of an outbreak, including any prodromal symptoms (symptoms that may occur immediately before an outbreak such as tingling), there is a 5% chance that the unaffected partner will become infected over the course of a year. If the infected partner takes a herpes suppression medicine on a daily basis, it will reduce the risk by about 50%. If condoms are used during every sexual encounter, it will reduce it by about another 50%. So, even if taking all these precautions, the unaffected partner runs a 1% risk of becoming infected, so it is appropriate for the unaffected partner to be tested regularly.

It is appropriate to note that this recommendation to be tested would be true even if you did not have sex on Wednesday. It is a function of having sex with someone with the infection, not limited to whether the sex occurs on the day prior to an outbreak.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I see that this question is still open, but not sure if you have any further questions. Please let me know if there is any more information that would be helpful.