Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Have had anemia on and off for 4 years, im 20 and at points

Customer Question

Have had anemia on and off for 4 years, im 20 and at points its been quite serious. Ive only been given galfer. I eat healthy, and im on yasmin so i have very light periods. could it be more than Iron deficiency? Why does it keep returning? Is there anything else i can try?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

What is your nationality, or your family background? You may have an inherited anemia that may not respond to medication. Galfer which is iron, is only the treatment for iron deficiency anemia. If you have not been tested to see if this is the type of anemia you have, it may not be helpful. You can also be anemic due to blood loss, chronic disease, kidney problems, or b12 deficiency, to name just a few.