Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I have a question on flu shot I am currently in UK but

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question on flu shot I am currently in UK but leaving in 3 weeks time to Singapore. I normally get the flu shot should I get it or wait till
Singapore? If I get it in UK can I get another one in Singapore
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It is appropriate to receive the flu shot now and there will be no need to repeat the flu shot when you get to Singapore.

The composition of the flu shot is selected by the world wide trends in flu variants, so the flu shot that you get in the UK will be protective in other countries.

If you travel to the southern hemisphere, so that you are in a country in which winter occurs opposite to the northern hemisphere, then it may be necessary to get another flu shot during their winter, as the flu shot protection tends to diminish after 6 months. But there would not be a need to repeat the flu shot in 3 weeks in Singapore.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok but Singapore doesn't have winter
I understand that, but in 3 weeks, you will still be within the protection window of this shot.

I only included that statement to educate you on the fact that the shot is not as effective after 6 months, so would be an issue if you were to later travel to a location that has winter (and flu season) opposite to where you received the first flu shot. The flu shot is only an annual shot if you remain in locations that have flu season during the same period of the calendar year.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so get the shot now for Singapore
Yes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So that flu strain in uk same as singapore
Yes, during the same flu season.