Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hip surgery 2 weeks ago leg slling badly

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Could you give more details about what problems you are having?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

leg thigh very swollen and painfull no temp as far as I know ankle not bad

How long has this been bothering you?
Are you having any chest pain or shortness of breath?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 80 and need advice please reply no chest pain YET 6hours

Thank you for the additional information.

The primary concern in someone with a recent hip surgery that is now having swelling of the thigh and leg is that there is a clot that has formed in a deep vein, called deep venous thrombophlebitis (or DVT).

I ask about chest pain or shortness of breath, because it is possible that a portion of the blood clot can break off and travel to the lung, called a pulmonary embolus, and this is potentially life threatening. A DVT is serious, but it is not as emergent a problem as a pulmonary embolus.

It is also possible that the swelling could be due to some bleeding into the tissue of the thigh, so there are some people that have swelling without a DVT.

If you are having a DVT, then you will need to be started on anticoagulants. Consequently, it is important that you be seen. You should contact your surgeon or whichever doctor is covering for your surgeon, and they will advise you on how to be seen. If you develop shortness of breath or chest pain, then you should be seen immediately at the closest A&E. If you are unable to contact your surgeon, then it also would be appropriate to be seen at the A&E.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed my above answer. Sometimes the notification system fails, so I wanted to place another post to prompt another notification. If you have any further questions, please let me know.