Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi doc, I happened to feel this soft jelly like round thingy

Customer Question

Hi doc, I happened to feel this soft jelly like round thingy on the left side of my face beside my ear. And i tried to feel it on my right side around the same area and realised there's one or two soft rubbery feeling too. its doesnt really move around. I do not have any other symptoms. Just like to know if its normal to feel that.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
How large are these and is it as though they just recently were there and you didn't have them before just recently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they are slightly smaller than 1cm. Not very sure if i have them in the past. But the one of the left side nearing to my ear was felt recently, unsure if I already had that in the past.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, are you saying that before just recently you never felt in those areas? I mean, I would think you could be more certain as to how long they've been there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've never felt those area before.. so I dont really know. I only know that i had a jaw ache 5 days ago and 2 days ago, i happened to feel on that area and realised the soft rubbery thing. But it doesnt hurt and cause any other symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. It's unlikely that these are lymph nodes that just got enlarged symmetrically like that. So these are probably just sebaceous cysts--clogged oil glands. Nothing serious but it isn't likely that these will go away on their own. If they get any larger or start to bother you let your doctor take a look. The only true way to rid yourself of them is to have them completely removed surgically under local anesthesia
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay but if that is really a lymph node, is it normal for one to feel it? smaller than 1cm?

And also, if its a sebaceous cysts, can I just leave it as it is if it remains the same size? There's no way to shrink it besides surgery?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--the nodes can be felt normally and if there's been a number of infections in the past. like ear infections, a node can be left a bit enlarged. These cysts are not dangerous but there isn't anything like a cream you can put on your face that will shrink or get rid of them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay so in summary if it remains the same with no other symptoms i can just leave it as it is? No medical attention required?

And also, will the cysts usually gets bigger? Or usually it remains like that?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. You can leave them for now but they may get larger in time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've went to search and look up for more infor on sebaceous cysts and they usually swell a little on the surface and its off white. Mine dont swell, and cant be seen from the outside. Its only when you press onto the surface and feel for it. can that be a higher chance that its a lymph node?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--still cysts. And the skin over them is mostly normal flesh color. Like I said before, to have enlarged nodes on both sides of the face would be highly unusual