Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

do circulation machines help in the treatment of intermitten

Customer Question

do circulation machines help in the treatment of intermitten clauducation ? if not, can you give details of the best type (if any) of aid.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are having bad circulation and claudication pain behind the knees.

Dr. David :

I assume you have had ultrasounds of your leg to show your poor circulation and claudication and this is what is causing the pain

Dr. David :

and that you are getting your high blood pressure and high cholesterol and diabetes treated as best as possible with medication

Dr. David :

are you stretching before and after walking? this is important to warm up the muscles.

Dr. David :

also make sure your potassium levels are not low, low potassium can also cause muscle and calf pain.

Dr. David :

Cilostazol is the most effective medication for treatment of claudication symptoms, particularly when combined with exercise

Dr. David :

are you on cilostazol? also called Pletal?

Dr. David :

circulation machines are not proven and don't really help move blood through your narrowed and damaged blood vessels.

Dr. David :

a number of studies have suggested that ginkgo biloba may improve symptoms of claudication as well. you can try this which is over the counter.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.