Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My 13 yr old son has congenital hypothyroidism. He has always

Customer Question

My 13 yr old son has congenital hypothyroidism. He has always struggled with school work but now he has gone to secondary education it has become more apparent that he has huge difficulty in keeping up with his peers which is resulting in him falling behind and me receiving phone calls from all his teachers. My question is - is this difficulty a result of his thyroid problems? I am very worried and am looking for ways in which i can help him. I am also trying to determine if it is his condition or laziness that is the problem.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

can you please let me know what his latest TSH levels are like?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

JACUSTOMER-smh3wb2s- :

They were within the normal range and the latest bloods were done about 4 weeks aga

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would like to keep the TSH near the 1 mark.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you remember the level?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The normal range is between 0.3 - 3 according to the recent guidelines

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The lab ranges that are mentioning in the reports are usually higher than that and suggest up 5 as normal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that thyroid problem may have something to do with his struggle at schoolwork.

JACUSTOMER-smh3wb2s- :

No I am sorry but when I called the doctor for the results they said to continue him on the same dose of Eltroxin which is 125mg per day. He has been on the same dose of medication for 2years

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that he would be due for another test soon and then you can know the exact levels

Dr. Shahzad MD :

He should ideally follow up with an endocrinologist if possible

JACUSTOMER-smh3wb2s- :

Is there a connection between the thyroid and low intelligence. He seems to be under so much pressure keeping up with school work that in the last couple of weeks he seems to have given up and stop caring. I don't know if it is laziness (which i think he is naturally) or inability and each reason has to be handled differently and i'm not sure what to do. The school is aware of his condition and we are waiting for an appointment with the educational psychologist. What would your opinion be on his ability to keep up due to his condition? Is there research done to show that it can affect his ability to comprehend?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just a moment

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I will give you some articles to read for yourself

Dr. Shahzad MD :

These are the two articles that I could find as of now

JACUSTOMER-smh3wb2s- :

Is that it? That is your expert medical opinion? He needs his levels tested and read 2 articles? i was hoping for advice on perhaps how to help my son! The reason i came across this service is because of reading articles. Very disappointed.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No that is not it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can ask as many questions as you wish

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I was just giving you articles because I thought you mentioned you wanted some research done in this regard

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There are a few important things that need to be done or can be done at this point:
1. recheck the TSH to make sure that its in the normal range, I would prefer to keep it near the 1 mark. the higher the TSH the more likely that it will cause further problems.
2. He certainly does require help of a psychologist and he needs to have his IQ assessed as he may require special education if required because even in children in whom congenital hypothyroidism is diagnosed at birth and treated early can have problems in comprehending.
3. So basically its a long road ahead for him and the family unfortunately.

JACUSTOMER-smh3wb2s- :

Yes, I understand that but not having a medical background i am having difficulty understanding some of the articles i have read. Can you tell me, in your opinion, if my sons low intelligence is of a direct result of his condition. I know you do not know him or his full background but generally speaking is it a strong possibility. I jsut need to know which route to follow - i have always tried not to use his condition as an"excuse" but don't want to do him an injustice by not helping him if he genuinely needs more from me as a parent. If his condition is the reason what sort of help, therapy, approach should i use or take?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This session is open for any number of questions that you may have.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So in other words, yes hypothyroidism is the most likely cause of his intellectual problems.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

At present I would like to keep the TSH at the optimal levels like I mentioned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus I would like that he should be assessed for need of specialized education.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you do not understand anything or need more details.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
I am opting out so that other experts on this site may be able to help you out.