Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, My two and a half year old son wants his dad most of

Customer Question

My two and a half year old son wants his dad most of the time, I'm finding this very hard to accept. When we are on our own he is loving towards me but as soon as his dad is home I'm left feeling totally not wanted or needed. I worry if this is how our relationship will be when he is older too.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There is no reason for you to be concerned about whether this is how the relationship will be indefinitely. All children will go through phases in which they appear to favour or prefer one parent over the other. When this happens at this age, it does not mean that this is how it always will be.

At this point, if you continue to love him, as you do, you will continue to build your relationship. While it is true that there is always a special relationship between a son and his father, there also always is a special relationship of a son with his mother.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed my initial answer. Sometimes the notification system fails, so I wanted to place another post to prompt another answer. If you have any further questions after reviewing the above answer, please let me know.