DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been seeing a homeopath for a couple of months for hand

Customer Question

I have been seeing a homeopath for a couple of months for hand eczema. She prescribed Sulphur 30C twice a day, along with Morgan Bach once a day and Naryani Drawing twice a day. Since taking it last week, I have developed a rash all over my arms, chest and ears. What hold I do to combat this reaction?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

are you looking to stay with homeopathy or are you willing to try conventional therapy?

JACUSTOMER-qqrchuj6- : I have used topical steroids and don't want to use them on a long term basis, so have been looking to alternative therapies
Dr. David :

have you tried calendula cream?

Dr. David :

you can try steroid cream for a short term basis as well.

Dr. David :

like for 1-2 weeks to help the rash.

Dr. David :

is the rash itchy?

Dr. David :

sounds like a bad eczema flair up.

Dr. David :

often times as the weather gets colder and the air gets drier, this can worsen eczema.

JACUSTOMER-qqrchuj6- : Yes I have used calendula but it is not clearing up the extensive rash. It is very itchy. Could it have been caused by a reaction to the sulphur?
Dr. David :

possibly.

Dr. David :

some patients are allergic to sulfur medications.

Dr. David :

skin testing can confirm this

Dr. David :

I would stop the sulpher and try an antihistamine cream like benadryl cream to help decrease the rash.

Dr. David :

oral benadryl antihistamine might help as well.

JACUSTOMER-qqrchuj6- : I know the usual conventional medicine to take but is there no advice you can give me on an alternative homeopathic remedy to take? I posted my query in the Homeopathy section
Dr. David :

Lithium Carb works best in case of a rough rash all over the body and tough, dry, itchy skin

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

In fact, in cases of eczema, even a 30 C of sulfur can cause a flare up or aggravation. This often proceeds a disappearance of the eczema, although it might take a higher potency later.

The thing to do is not repeat the sulfur and report to the homeopath. IIf needed, the current dose of sulfur 30C can be antidoted, although in most cases this is not necessary if you can live with the rash until it dissipates. However, this should be monitored by your homeopath. In the case that a new symptom picture is emerging, a different remedy would be used, thus creating a "dynamic" antidote.

Do not use anything topically as this might interrupt the treatment and prevent cure. Unless approved by your homeopath. Calendula is usually safe, but even so, it can still be a sub-optimal choice compared to follow up for the correct remedy procedure.

A sulfur 30C rememdy does not have any sulfur in it, so it would not cause an allergic reaction.

There is no molecule of sulfur at a 12C potency.

I am a classical homeopath and I would be glad to offer further suggestions.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget a positive rating.