Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

Had blood in my stool for the forth time today in a two week

Customer Question

Had blood in my stool for the forth time today in a two week period. The first time it was a dark tar color and the rest have been bright red, but today when I wiped looked a bit tary. Today I sat down and tried to push for the number two, very gently though, looked down and found blood in the water. What is it? Is it serious? The days inbetween have been a mix of normal and semi loose stool. I woke up one morning with pain in my lower ab area on the right side. I assumed it was gas cause it went after a couple of minutes (didn't have the urge to use the bathroom)
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

I would need some additional information before being able to help you understand the situation in the best manner possible

1. Have you been to a doctor so far?

2. If yes what investigations were done?

3. What amount roughly, on average, have you lost so far?
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
I was following your question.
i am an ER doctor.

Tarry stool implies bleeding in the stomach or the esophagus.
You have to lose about 500ml of blood to produce this.

And the fact that you are having red stool signifies ongoing bleeding.

You need to go to the ER right away. Period.

This needs to be investigated- you need labs and evaluation of your stool

Please do not delay.

I hope that I provided you with excellent service.
Please leave positive feedback if I did
Use reply if you need clarification.
:-)
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 3 years ago.
Although the information by my respectable colleague is valuable indeed but I am afraid she missed your question altogether which was

1. What is it?

2. Is it serious?

The most common causes keeping in view your age and the presentation & pattern of symptoms would be Hemorrhoids or inflammatory bowel disease.

Although I do agree that since there are other possible causes for bleeding per rectum therefore nothing can be said for sure about the cause unless investigated however labs and evaluation of the stools alone would not be sufficient and investigations like endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy would be needed for defining the cause and thereby deciding for the optimal definitive treatment.

Yes I do agree that for emergency care CBC and stool examination would be important but for definitive care blood tests and stool examination alone would not suffice.

The doctor most preferable for long term management in your case would be a Gastroenterologist.

And yes it would be highly recommended to seek medical attention for at-least getting an idea to the amount of blood loss (through a blood test called CBC) and appropriate management to take care of that.

Hope this helped you understand the situation :)

If Satisfied please do Remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please) If you need further clarification please do let me know.

Best Wishes
Dr MASK