Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I wonder if you could give me an advise. Within months

Customer Question

Hi, I wonder if you could give me an advise. Within months i have lost lots of weight without dieting, I'm getting mild headaches and have really bad mood swings (to the point where i cry on stupid adverts). what could be the cause?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
How much weight have you lost?
Over how many months?
Did the GP perform any evaluation, such as any blood tests, etc.?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've lost around 15 kg's over 3-4 months. GP wouldn't send me for blood tests even though i've asked.

Thank you for the additional information.

If someone has lost 15 kg over 3-4 months without a change in oral intake, the primary concern would be that there has been a change in the body metabolism, and the primary concern would be whether there is thyroid disease. However, there are also a variety of other possible causes. There are also other endocrine problems that can present with weight loss, including diabetes or Addison's disease. It can be related to a variety of chronic inflammatory diseases or infections, such as Crohn's disease or tuberculosis. Cancer can also present with weight loss, although this is particularly more of a concern in older persons, rather than someone of your age.

It is also important to note that one of the common causes of weight loss is depression, but the weight loss associated with depression is related to a decrease in appetite and decreased oral intake. These people are not dieting in the sense of someone intentionally eating less to lose weight, but they are eating less. In someone with weight loss and emotional lability, this should be considered, but if you are eating the same as previously, this would be less of a concern.

I do not know why your doctor did not want to pursue evaluation, as it would typically be done if the weight loss has persisted for 3-4 months.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions. If you have any further questions or if there is any additional information that is desired, please let me know.