Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, Ive got Aspergers but I dont like letting it hold me

Customer Question

Hi, I've got Aspergers but I don't like letting it hold me back, problem is I always find it makes me over think everything (especially when it comes to social situations and relationships). I feel like it's holding me back and making me less happy about a life that otherwise is very good. Do you have any suggestions on how to help with the amount I over think and raise my self-esteem. I just always think that if I like someone they automatically find me annoying, which I know is stupid but it stops me from being myself. Also I find it very hard to just go up and talk to women and when I do it often ends up very platonic. Basically I want to feel less self conscious and just enjoy my relationships, rather than worrying so much about what people think.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what type of Aspergers have you been diagnosed with and have you ever had any therapy for it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only know as much as that it's on the Asperger spectrum and that it's mild. No, I've never had therapy for it, this is the furthest I've gone with professionally dealing with it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Would you be willing to get therapy then?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would if it would help but I'm a full time student, so I don't know if I could afford it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, it definitely can help especially with your obviously mild on the spectrum Asperger's and I strongly suggest you seek it. Here's a link to get you started

http://www.davidmulhall.co.uk/the-treatments/aspergers-treatments