Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hi,I was a very busy working mum of 2 untill 4 or 5 months

Customer Question

Hi, I was a very busy working mum of 2 untill 4 or 5 months ago. I work for a well known search engine and first noticed my memory and spelling/grammer suddenly became poor affecting my work.

My OH and sister noticed my memory loss and I went to the doctors, who did numerous blood tests covering everything inc thyroid,adrenal,diabetes,hormones etc. These were all normal.

My problems got worse so she refered me for an urgent MRI scan and to see a neurologist. This was 3 weeks ago, I have also noticed a constant drunk/spaced kind of feeling thats there all time, and increases greatly when I concentrate (which I am finding increasingly difficult) or in bright light. Cognitive skills are noticably (to me) impaired, I struggle with basic sums which I did fine before. I can't learn new guidelines for work, nothing seems to stick.

I keep zoning out when trying to listen to people, no matter how hard I try not to.

I have had a couple of strange episodes where I go into a 'daze' (don't know how else to explain it) lose track of where I am or what I am doing and say something out loud (a word or a sentance) that makes no sense to the conversation I am having (I have no awareness that I said the word untill I hear it aloud, I then feel extreme embarrasment (even though there is no need for embarrasment,) this has happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks.

Today I went to the doctors to keep them updated on the dizzy/drunk feeling that's getting worse, as I am going to have to take time off work, and a different doctor saw me, he seemed to think it is anxiety (even though I have told him I am sure it isn't, I have had anxiety in the past and it is nothing like this). I told him I was worried I would get told its anxiety when I know it isn't and he said 'these symptoms are common with anxiety, I am not saying your lieing, but we can't rule it out', I am now actually worried that they won't even look properly and will try and pin this on anxiety. As I said I do have the MRI which is in 3 weeks and I won't know properly untill after that, but could I have your opinion on possible causes?

Also I should of said that my mood is fine, I am sleeping well, very happy, no worries at all, 2 amazing holidays this year (we had just got back from Jamaica when I started noticing the symptoms) and life is great, apart from this!.

How can I clearly put my symptoms across to the neurologist, in such a way to let him know that I am not anxious, without trying to tell him his job?

Thanks for your time

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

This sounds like a complicated,tough problem. You do say that it started after returning home from a trip to Jamaica. Its possible that this is Maldebarquement syndrome. You do have many of the symptoms. You would need to see a neurologist that actually deals with it.

Heres a link to check out. It describes the symptoms and treatment. I hope this may help.

http://www.mdds.org.uk/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at the link and some of my symptoms do match, but I don't think that is it, as I started with the cognitive symptoms of memory loss, mixing up words and confusion before the dizzy/drunk/spaced feeling started to affect me so much.

Would you mind having a look at my symptoms and putting them in a short list, that I can take and show the neurologist, I am struggling to keep my list concise and time will be short. Particularly I don't know how to explain the 'strange episodes' Thanks