Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

my daughter her white blood cell count is low can iit be treated

Customer Question

my daughter her white blood cell count is low can iit be treated and is it serious
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions

A low number of WBCs is called leukopenia.It may be due to:Bone marrow failure (for example, due to infection, tumor),collagen-vascular diseases,disease of the liver or spleen,radiation.

Other causes of low white blood cell count are:uremia,steroid treatment,aplastic anemia.AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) patients often have an abnormally low WBC count.Multiple sclerosis,myasthenia gravis, and Guillain-Barre syndrome are the other causes which can cause low white blood cell count.Certain medications can also cause low WBC count.

As your daughter's WBC count is low,the first thing is to find out the cause & then its treatment will be done according to cause.Remember low WBC count is not a disease but a symptom of an underlying disease.

How serious it is,can be determined once the cause is detected.

So the underlying disease is to be diagnosed first & a series of blood tests & other tests will be required.She should make an appointment with hematologist for these tests & hence the treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in time does this disappear

Dear Sara,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

If the cause is some medication or treatment & when these medications will be stopped,her WBC count may come back to normal.

If the cause of this low WBC count is some underlying condition as described above,then it need to be treated.

But first I advice for your daughter to have other blood tests,so that the underlying cause that why her WBC count is low & then treatment will be done according to that cause.

Hope this helped.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert