Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

After 2 1/2 yrs dating my 14 yr old son and I moved in with

After 2 1/2 yrs dating my 14 yr old son and I moved in with my partner and his 12 yr old daughter. The move was 50 miles from home, so my son had to change school. He was devastated about this. He tried, but found it difficult to settle and felt quite depressed.
Last week, my partner and I fell out quite spectacularly, and I packed a bag and took my son with me, and went back to my mums. Some bad stuff passed between me and my partner, so feeling angry and hot headed, and not thinking clearly, I enrolled him back in his old school. Son was very happy (hes been back for 3 days) but I now know after calming down, ive made a huge mistake and want to move back in with my fiance. I am just feeling so awful at how ive messed my son around, and messed with his head. What do I do? Thank you for reading this
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Customer:

Hi there

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil. Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

Sue

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Sue. Nice to meet you

Customer:

And you

Dr. Phil, MD :

How can I help Sue?

Customer:

I have posted my problem. Are you able to view?

Dr. Phil, MD :

Yes, I can see it.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Does your son have family there he can stay with?

Customer:

No family at all, just my elderly parents who are 88 and 89

Dr. Phil, MD :

So he can't stay there for the year?

Customer:

No, father in care home, mother frail

Dr. Phil, MD :

I see.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Does he know you want to move back yet?

Customer:

Yes and hes very upset

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sorry.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Didn't you apologize to him?

Customer:

of course. We are very close. That doesnt alter that ive messed him around. Thats a difficult thing to get over

Dr. Phil, MD :

I see. That's good. I think that is all you can do Sue. Be honest, love and support him.

Customer:

Im worried about depression. Hes extremely sensitive

Dr. Phil, MD :

Maybe counseling would be appropriate?

Dr. Phil, MD :

As a preventative

Customer:

Good idea. I keep thinking im a bad parent for messing him around, but it was unintentional

Dr. Phil, MD :

Stop blaming yourself Sue.

Dr. Phil, MD :

You have to be happy for him to be happy

Dr. Phil, MD :

You have a right to be happy

Customer:

That is so true. I guess im just so used to caring for everyone else, i forget myself. Its just a parent thing though, isnt it, to protect your young from upset and danger!

Dr. Phil, MD :

absolutely. I have kids too so I understand.

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think counseling is a good idea and maybe arranging weekend trips to see his friends

Dr. Phil, MD :

in the old city

Customer:

I do agree about the counseling. A great idea where he can offload. Sadly, his friends from the old town dont want to know him anymore. Theyve all moved on with their lives

Dr. Phil, MD :

That's too bad his friends moved on.

Dr. Phil, MD :

I would just show love and support and look into counseling.

Dr. Phil, MD :

He will adapt.

Dr. Phil, MD :

You sound like a good mom Sue :)

Customer:

Thank you. That is what my friend and my Mum said too. :) I appreciate the chat. Sometimes just talking to someone independant clarifies the situation.

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

Did I do excellent for you today

Customer:

You did!! Thank you so much. You said what i was actually hoping you would say :) Goodnight

Dr. Phil, MD :

Thank you :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

Please don't forget an excellent rating. I appreciate it

Customer:

I will do

Dr. Phil, MD :

thanks

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)