Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I was diagnosed with slightly fatty liver a year ago. Yesterday

Customer Question

Hi, I was diagnosed with slightly fatty liver a year ago. Yesterday I had a fibroscan and they said I have mild scarring of my liver though shouldnt worry and wait for referal back to the consultant. Now that I have looked things up Im worried if my scarring means its in a fibrosis or cirrosis stage and what will this mean for the future. I am a 43 year old male who doesnt drink(at all) or smoke though is overweight and a history of anabolic steriod use. What will a fibroscan have told them? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Was there any particular reason for the Fibroscan?
Or was this done solely because of the prior diagnosis of fatty liver disease?
When the fatty liver was diagnosed last year, was it also diagnosed as causing inflammation of the liver?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As an ultrasound last year they told me simple fatty liver but not much emphisis was put on it as they also diagnosed gallstones. Due to the shock of that all of my questions were then in relation to the gallbladder.This was also the case when I saw the the consultant last month (routine appointment due to elevated ALT, 6 monthly). He wasnt concerned about my liver scans (ive had 2) but suggested that to put my mind at rest I have the fibroscan. Inflammation has never been mentioned though thd original reason I went to the doctors 2 years ago was because of right flank du aches and a slight fever. In addition, over the past 5 years I have become extremely sensitive to purfumes and have nightly anal itching. Not sure if the last two things are relevant but thought best to mention.thanks.

Thank you for the additional information.

The finding of a single Fibroscan that shows mild scarring is not a significant concern, other than it would be appropriate to repeat the test to monitor whether there is progression of the scarring. The fact that it was not checked in response to any worrisome findings would also make it more likely that this is not a significant finding.

The finding that would have been reported to the physician is a grading of the severity of scarring from none (frequently labeled as a score of 0) to severe/cirrhosis (a score of 4). Mild scarring (a score of 1) is usually only seen as mild scarring located at the part of the liver where the blood vessels enter the liver. A Fibroscan also can provide evidence of the severity of the fatty infiltration of the liver.

One of the characteristics of the Fibroscan that is both good and bad is that it is very sensitive at detecting mild forms of scarring. It is good that it is sensitive, as it will be more accurate early in the disease process, but it also will identify people that would never have been previously identified and who will never progress beyond having this mild level of scarring.

At this point, the usual approach is to not be concerned about a single Fibroscan that shows mild scarring, but to repeat the test to see if the scarring progresses.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your answer. It will ease my mind a lot in the run up to another consultancy appointment. In the meantime I will continue cutting out 'bad food' and lose some more weight which seems to be the way to go. Thank again,Regards Paul Huntley.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.