Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a cast on my right foot which I am not allowed to put

I have a cast on my right foot which I am not allowed to put weight on. During the past few days the Tendon?Muscle?Ligament? running from the bottom of my thigh over the front of the right knee is so painful I cannot bend my knee easily. Please can you diagnose the problem?

Thanks XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what's the reason for the case and how long has it been on? Any swelling of your upper leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was diagnosed with a possible (not confirmed) fracture of a right metatasal and the backslab cast? was put on prior to further investigation next Wed (4th) when a reassessment will be made and re xray. No swelling of the upper leg although the knee is quite tender.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Andy--do you have any medical conditions and have you ever had any problem with the knee before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not especially apart from the usual age related issues following a football youth! It was always weaker than the left.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for all the questions Andy but is there any swelling or warmth to the knee itself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes a little

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--sounds like you've developed a bursitis of that knee--inflammation of the bursal sac that surrounds a joint. Nothing too serious but it can be painful. I suggest you apply moist heat to the knee and use some ibuprofen for the pain for now until you are reevaluated next month. You may need a cortisone injection if it doesn't resolve in the next few days.