Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Hello I was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary emboli on 30

Hello I was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary emboli on 30 July 2013. I have taken approximately 5mg of warfarin since then and my INR is around 2.2, but last week it dropped to 1.1 so my warfarin dose age was increased to 6mg on most days. Three days ago I woke with an acute pain in my left calf and popliteal fossa. Their is also some swelling. I went to my GP and he sent me to the anticoagulant clinic at my local hospital. They tested my blood and said that some ratio was 2.00 from 0.5 which suggested further DVT's. The nurse said they would scan my left leg this Monday to confirm whether there is further DVT's. My question is, can I still have very hot baths without and adverse affects, relating to the warfarin I take? Many thanks Brian

Read more at http://www.askthedoctor.com/topics-a-z/305-high-blood-pressure/143646-warfarin-and-hot-baths.html?sg=MTQzNjQ2#YXtk6Ddb6gJjM8uo.99
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

It is not advisable to take very hot baths when there is a risk for a a clot in the legs. the heat dilates the veins, increasing natural blood flow. This can dislodge the clot and make it flow to the lungs - this is a very serious condition.

Once the INR has stabilized and clots ruled out, you can take warm baths.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr Das

Thank you for your reply.
Until I have the ultrasound scan on Monday, should they be giving me injections of Tinzaparin or Heparind every 24 hours?
Brian
Brian,

That would be a wise course - it will prevent formation of any DVTs , decreasing the risks of a pulmonary embolism.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr Das
How long will it take the blood clots from last July (30) to disintegrate?
Brian
That will depend on the size of the clot. Sometimes a clot may not completely dissolve and you may need repeated ultrasounds to check that it is at least getting smaller.