Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi, I have been feeling a bit run down and a bit bloated. I

Customer Question

Hi, I have been feeling a bit run down and a bit bloated. I have also missed 3 periods, I am 48. I saw the Doctor on Tuesday and had some blood tests on Wednesday including ca125. The ca125 came back as raised at 77. My doctor rung me immediately and I am having an ultra sound on Monday. She is telling me not to worry yet but suspects ovarian cancer. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. May I ask when your last pelvic exam was and was it normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had some polyps removed from my womb and some small cysts from my cervix in December 2011. The results were benign but I have not been examined since.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sonia. An elevated ca 125 doesn't mean you have ovarian or uterine cancer, but of course it needs evaluation. Uterine fibroids can also causes elevations and sometimes the levels are elevated for no demonstrable reason. I wish I could calm your concerns, but of course it will take the results of the ultrasound to do that
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

CA 125 can be raised in many different conditions.

This includes ovarian cysts. Also liver issues can raise the CA 125.

your level was not very high at all.

CA 125 should be used to follow ovarian cancer and not diagnosis it

That is why it is not commonly used.

Your doctor should have done ultrasound first then CA 125 if needed.

CA 125 just confuses the picture and scares people

I really doubt you have ovarian cancer. you have no other signs of it.