Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 65 years old, in good health non smoker non drinker. I

I am 65 years old, in good health non smoker non drinker. I had a vasectomy when I was 30. Every now and then (about twice or three times a year) I find a tint spec of blood in my underpants. Tiny = about 5mm diameter. It does not seem to come from any cut or abrasion, nor do I ever have blood in my urine. I have no pain or other symptoms. My obvious fear is Prostrate Cancer but it may also be a tiny lesion in the tubes in the testicles (from the vasectomy, which went horribly wrong and I had severe internal bleeding) which then allows a small amount of blood to travel down the semen tube, is that possible?
My mobile phone number is XXXXX 302595 but I am abroad at present so best to e mail.

My name isXXXXX
E [email protected]

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you.

There are many different possible causes of this bleeding It is possible to get such bleeding from cancer, but it is only one of the various possible causes. It also could be due to ruptured blood vessels, infection of the prostate or urethra, prostate stones, or benign growths, including benign enlargement of the prostate.

It would be very unlikely that a vasectomy from 35 years ago would cause bleeding at this point.

Generally speaking, isolated minor bleeding is so likely to be a ruptured blood vessel, that there is no need to pursue evaluation in that setting. In your case, since the bleeding has happened on multiple occasions, it is appropriate to look for other causes. A ruptured blood vessel is still quite possible, but it would be appropriate to be certain that no other problem is present. Since this has been intermittently present for a long period of time, there is no urgency in getting the evaluation, so there is no problem with waiting until you return home.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply. I will go to the doctor when I return just to make sure . I agree about the vasectomy but I wondered if this was a possibility. If the ruptured blood vessel is somewhere in the penis and it is not, or does not seem to be, in the urine ( urethae) tube is there a separate tube for semen and could it be in there?

Barry
The ruptured blood vessel can be in the urethra (the tube that runs through the penis) or the prostate. The urethra also passes through the centre of the prostate, and the prostate secretions enter the urethra at this level. The tube for the sperm travels from the site where it was cut to the groin, and then travels deep and enters the urethra at the level of the prostate. A ruptured blood vessel can also occur in this tube, but it is less common.

If the blood were in the urine, it would be worrisome that the source is in the bladder, kidneys, or the tubes that drain the kidneys into the bladder (the ureters). Since the blood does not appear to be in the urine, it is typical for bleeding from the prostate or urethra.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that, just on the point of the very small amount if bleeding, if this comes from the prostrate would it be in the urine or semen route?
Your answer at the end was not clear on this point, if it is typically from the prostrate is that "normal" or is it a sign of potential Prostrate Cancer?

Sorry to be a pain but I do need to be clear on this

Best Regards

Barry
From the prostate to the tip of the penis there is only one tube, the urethra, that carries all of the different substances. As noted above, the prostate secretions and the tube that carries the sperm enter the urethra at the level of the prostate.

Therefore, bleeding from a ruptured blood vessel in the prostate would travel the same route as a ruptured blood vessel in the urethra.

Bleeding would not be considered "normal", but it can frequently be due to a benign condition that is not worrisome.

As I initially said, it is possible that bleeding could be from prostate cancer, but it is only one of several possible causes. It is not a distinctive sign of cancer, as it can be due to several different conditions.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.